I am sure you have had a taste of this familiar treat at some holiday function with family, friends, or co-workers at some point in your life. The combination of chocolate, brown sugar toffee, and salty crackers make it a treat that hardly anyone can resist. The true simplicity of the recipe makes it a quick and easy “go-to” for any skill-level cook. I’ve used chopped pecans in this recipe, but feel free to switch up your topping to adapt the final look for any gathering – and don’t forget to share what you try.
Chocolate Toffee Crackle
- Saltine crackers (I used 40, but it may vary by pan size used. Make sure the crackers cover the entire pan. Also, don’t use low-sodium crackers – the salt is needed for the overall taste.)
- 2 sticks butter (salted)
- 1 Cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup chopped pecans (or whatever chopped topping you want to use)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line large baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray (Cooking spray is a must to ensure easy release of crackle once it cools.)
- Lay out crackers (salty side up) on the foil in an even layer and “cup” the sides of the foil around the crackers. (This will help hold the crackers in place when adding other ingredients and not allow hot ingredients to drip out onto pan/oven.) Set aside.
- In a saucepan, on medium-high heat, melt stick butter and add brown sugar and bring to a light boil while stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to boil for 5 min. Be sure to stir frequently to avoid burning.
- After 5 min, remove the mixture from the heat and pour directly over the crackers. Be sure to cover all of the crackers with the mixture. (Carefully use a flat knife to spread it over any areas that seem too bare.)
- Quickly place the baking sheet in the oven for 5 – 7 min. (you should see the toffee bubbling again)
- Remove the baking sheet and immediately sprinkle the semi-sweet chips evenly over the toffee. Let stand for 1 – 2 min – until the chips appear to shine and you can tell they are soft/melting. (If it’s not ready to spread at this point, you can let it set another minute, or quickly pop it back in the oven for a minute or so.)
- Gently spread the melted chocolate over the top of the toffee until all is covered evenly
- Sprinkle chopped pecans (or whatever chopped topping you choose) evenly over the top
- Let set for 10 min on counter
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set firmly
- Remove baking sheet from refrigerator, gently peel the foil away from the back, and snap/break crackle into various sizes – based on your desired look/servings.