This is a southern classic, one skillet dish that makes quite a hearty meal. Although I use Kielbasa, you can certainly substitute your sausage of choice and make your own version. I’m sure you’ll find the combination of sweet, crunchy cabbage with the spice of the seared sausage to be a tasty one. Add a slice of your favorite hearty bread, or cornbread and this will surely be a hit with those around your table.
Kielbasa Sausage and Cabbage
- 1 lb Kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4 in rounds
- 1 medium head green cabbage, chopped roughly
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped roughly
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp salted butter
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until desired darkness in 2 Tbsp of olive oil over med – med high heat. (4 – 6 minutes.) Remove from skillet and place on a dish on the side.
- Using leftover oil from sausage in same skillet, add 2 Tbsp butter and 1 additional Tbsp of olive oil.
- Leave on med-med high heat and add cabbage and onion. Stir to mix and allow to cook for approximately 7 – 9 minutes, or until desired crispiness of cabbage is reached. Be sure to stir periodically throughout this time to make sure cabbage mixture doesn’t burn. (You can use the remaining olive oil/butter throughout this time if needed.)
- Add Kielbasa back to mixture (including any juices that may have drained from the sausage) and stir to combine. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let set for 5 minutes before serving.